Saturday, August 7, 2010

all alone i have cried silent tears full of pride

This is what I saw on Aug. 5:
8-5-10
a special mylar made for the occasion!

It was Flashback Thursday at the UA Berkeley 7 on Shattuck Ave., and that night's showing was Flashdance. There was no way in heck I was going to miss out on finally seeing Flashdance on the big screen! When that movie first came out in 1983, I was way too young to see it in the theatre. But I grew up watching it on cable, and I have it on VHS and DVD. For me, that movie was all about the music and Jennifer Beals.

I met up with my coworkers Chris and Gina at the theatre, and we walked across the street to have a before-movie dinner at Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen. Chris had the sampler platter of ribs, sausage, and shrimp, and Gina had the deep-fried catfish strips and hushpuppies. I had the wild mushroom jambalaya. Such delicious cajun food!

We got to the theatre auditorium a bit early, and there was a trivia contest. The questions were about movies that Jennifer Beals had starred in and movies that Adrian Lyne had directed. Thank goodness I was obsessed with Jennifer Beals back in the 80s because I answered a question correctly about a Jennifer Beals movie (The Bride) and won a Coraline bag with Coraline tie-in swag.

What made that night's showing even better was the fact that they showed 80s movie trailers before the movie started. The trailers were: Pink Cadillac (WTF?!, Clint Eastwood, WTF?!), Do The Right Thing, The Fabulous Baker Boys (whoaaa, Michelle Pfeiffer, whoaaaa!), and the kicker? Weekend at Bernie's!!! That last trailer was so bad, I was convulsing with laughter.

It was Chris's first time watching Flashdance and the first time Gina watched the entire movie in one sitting. Chris didn't understand the point of Mawby's Bar. Like, why would a whole bunch of men watch these dancers put on these strange art piece dance numbers??? But we all agreed that the soundtrack was friggen awesome! That song "Manhunt" is stuck in our heads.

Next Thursday is Spaceballs, so all three of us will be hanging out again. I so can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I don't think I've ever watched Flashdance either! I think you might need to fix that! ;)

    Spaceballs on the big screen! Awesome!!! Is this in SJ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is in Berkeley! It's well worth the long drive home to SJ!

    And how can you host an 80s party if you've never ever seen "Flashdance"???

    ReplyDelete