Sunday, August 16, 2009

"About Leina" - installment the first

I've decided that, on days when I'm lazy about my outfit, I will take a bit from my "About Me" and go into detail.

Today's installment: dabbles in crafts.

I have to thank my mom for getting me into crafts. I remember she would take us along to a hobby & craft store so she could indulge in something new, like airbrushing designs on shirts and making beaded jewelry. She learnt how to crochet and to use a sewing machine, I guess, from her schoolgirl days in the Philippines. She also knows how to rug-hook, and she even has an embroidery sewing machine.

Like, really, how could I not absorb any of my mom's craftiness?

My mom also got me hooked on Creative Juice on DIY Network. Every time I watch a repeat of that show, I just can't get over how creative Cathie and Steve are. It's just amazing. They are geniuses.

The craft I am truly confident in is knitting. I'm pretty much an advanced beginner in crochet, and I know the bare bones basics of jewelry-making. I will try anything at least once.

Yesterday, my family and I watched the original Hairspray twice because it was so much better than we remembered. I could not stop staring at the dresses in that movie. So, another craft I'm going to dabble in may be learning how to use a sewing machine??

A few knit items:

super-natural-03
A sweater for a friend's baby.

clifford-hat-02
A cabled beanie for Clifford.

Hanging Garden Stole,  blocking on wires
A red lace shawl for Rachel for her wedding.


Two crochet throws:

Bed of Roses throw, whoa
'Bed of Roses' throw for my niece.


Brite Nites throw
'Brite Nites' throw for Rachel's birthday.

3 comments:

  1. I covet that throw and that shawl with my life, seriously. I love them so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That red lace shawl is the zenith of my lace-knitting career. I don't think I can ever top it!

    And the throw? I don't know how I managed to make it so fast! I may have been in some trance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are seriously crazy talented! I admire your skills (and your skillz)!!

    ReplyDelete